The present Chippewa County Courthouse, built in 1877, stands on the site of Reverend Abel Bingham’s Baptist Mission. Reverend Bingham, sent to Sault Ste. Marie by the American Baptist Missionary Society in the late 1820’s, organized a temperance society and school on the lot where the Courthouse now stands. Bingham Avenue was named after him. In 1883, the Courthouse was one of three stone buildings in town. It is the only courthouse in the state of Michigan that has served its residents continuously since its construction.
The Courthouse has long been a meeting place, inside and out. In 1881, The Chippewa County Agricultural Society held an agricultural fair on the Courthouse lawn. This was eventually moved to the site that would become the Park School (today, the Malcolm Building). For a time, Le Sault Artists Guild held its annual Sault Summer Arts Festival on the Courthouse lawn. Each year, the community honors its veterans at monuments placed on the lawn. The Chippewa County Courthouse, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in October 1984, is an example of the Second Empire style of construction, common in the late 1800’s. Its architect, John Scott, was also responsible for a number of other buildings in the state, but the Courthouse was one of the first he designed.