Sault Ste. Marie is known for its history, proximity to nature, and the Soo Locks, but did you know that it is also full of some of the most viral and like-worthy spots for Instagram in all of Michigan?
Here are four of the most “Instagrammable” spots in the Sault Ste. Marie area.
Angel wings mural
It has become a growing trend to paint angel wing art on the sides of buildings all across the country, and the Soo is no exception! It spreads a positive message and, let’s be real, it makes for an adorable and perfectly Instagram-worthy photo-op. This set of wings can be found on the south side of A Cut Above The Rest at 548 Ashmun Street.
One of the best and most versatile places in the Soo to get that perfect Instagram pic is at Rotary Park. This location has a playground, gazebo, and the perfect location on the St. Marys River to catch a photo of a 1,000-foot freighter going by.
This is not only the place for easy access to outdoor adventures, but it also offers a plethora of opportunities for optimal Insta-fame.
Located about 40 minutes outside of Sault Ste. Marie, Pendills Beach will make you wonder if you’re in Michigan or in Florida! When you combine the crystal clear water of Lake Superior and the warm, white sand of the beach, you will feel transported into paradise, and your photos will reflect that same relaxed vibe.
It goes without saying that the lighthouse is an epic photo-op in its own right, but follow the boardwalk down to the beach and the opportunities for that viral IG pic are endless.
- Wait for the the “golden hour”- late afternoon when the sun casts a beautiful and dreamy glow on any subject
- Bright and contrasting colors are always a hit on Instagram
- Find the right angle! Don’t be afraid to take your shot from a different perspective
- This may seem like a given, but make sure your camera lens is free from smudges and dust particles.
- Don’t go filter crazy! Nine times out of 10, if the lighting is correct, the natural beauty of a landscape will be more than enough. If your talented eye saw inspiration then your Instagram followers will appreciate the images you chose to share.
Where is your favorite place to get an Insta-worthy photo in the Soo? Be sure to share your pics with us and tag them with #ilovethesoo on your social media. We would love to see the locations that you have discovered! For more Sault Ste. Marie fun, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.